Two companies fined for safety failings
Two companies have been fined for dangerously installing and operating gas fired tumble driers at a student hall of residence, while not Gas Safe Registered.
York Magistrates’ Court heard how in September 2012, Direct Laundry Installations Limited were contracted by Circuit Laundrette Services Limited to install gas laundry equipment as part of a coin operated laundry, but were not at the time registered with Gas Safe Register. The installation was not completed correctly, as the flues were not in a safe position.
Direct Laundry Installations Limited, of Halifax, West Yorkshire, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive and pleaded guilty to Section 3(3) and 27(5) of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations and were fined £12,000 with costs of £935.
Circuit Laundrette Services Limited of Halifax Lane, Ripponden was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive and pleaded guilty to Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and were fined £13,000 with costs of £974.
After the hearing HSE inspector Julian Franklin said: “This case arose because Circuit failed to follow their own normal commissioning procedures, resulting in a dangerous installation being put into use. Luckily none of the students in the affected blocks suffered any health effects but it could have been fatal.”