South Wales Police has been fined after an employee received an electric shock whilst installing computer data cables.
Cardiff Magistrates’ Court heard that on the 16 October 2015, at Bridgend Police Station, Brackla Street, a 48-year-old civilian employee sustained damage to his heart muscles when he came into contact with an exposed end of a live 3-core electrical cable which had been left in a ceiling void.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the Force had failed to ensure the electrical system was safe and that the ceiling void was a safe place of work.
South Wales Police Headquarters, Bridgend was found guilty of breaching Section 2 (2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, was fined £64,000 and ordered to pay £29,449.14 in costs.
Speaking after the hearing, Neil Craig HSE’s head of operations commented: “This incident could so easily have been avoided by simply carrying out correct control measures and safe working practices.
“Police forces have the same duties under health and safety legislation as any other employer. It was appropriate for HSE to bring this matter before the courts given the avoidable, life-changing injuries suffered by their employee.”
Source HSE 7 February 2020