A bakery has been fined for failing to provide suitable machinery guarding and poor electrical standards.
Luton Magistrates’ Court heard how, during an inspection in June 2019 at Arnaouti Pitta Bread Bakery Limited’s site in Hoddesdon, the company was found failing to maintain guarding standards and electrical safety, risking both amputation and electrocution. The company was prosecuted in 2016 for similar guarding and electrical safety issues.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found multiple access points to dangerous parts of machinery, indicating poor maintenance of the guards. Failures in maintenance also exposed employees to live electrical conductors.
Arnaouti Pitta Bread Bakery Limited of Stephenson Close, Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and Regulation 4(2) of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989. The company was fined £66,000 and ordered to pay costs of £9,586.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Sandra Dias, said: “Companies should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.
“Employers should make sure they properly assess and apply effective control measures to eliminate the risk from dangerous parts of machinery.
“Companies need to ensure their electrical systems are maintained to prevent access to exposed live conductors”.
Source HSE Website 25/05/2021
For more HSE news including prosecutions visit the HSE website