An electric motors and gearbox manufacturer has been prosecuted after an employee’s little finger was severed from her right hand.
On 16 September 2019 an employee of Parvalux Electric Motors Limited was injured at their Bournemouth site when she became entangled in an exposed rotating shaft during the final test of a running motor on the production line.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the company had not identified the risks to their employees from exposed rotating shafts and had not provided suitable guards or safe systems of working.
At Poole Magistrates Court on 8 September, Parvalux Electric Motors Limited of Wallisdown Road, Bournemouth, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2 (1) of the Health and Safety Work Act 1974. They were fined £60,000 and ordered to pay costs of £8,000.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector Francesca Arnold said: “The defendant failed to ensure the safety of its employees in the testing of electrical motors.
“This incident could so easily have been prevented by simply putting the correct control measures in place and establishing safe working practices; for example, guarding exposed rotating parts and providing safe working practices.
“Companies should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”
Source HSE Website: 08/09/2022
For more HSE news including prosecutions visit the HSE website