A self-employed fitter has been jailed after carrying out unsafe gas work on four domestic boilers whilst unregistered, leaving them in a dangerous condition.
Southampton Crown Court heard how Sam Jordan was contracted to install boilers at four residential addresses in Southampton, Hampshire between 2016 and 2018. On two occasions he provided falsified safety certificates on which he gave a false Gas Safe registration number. The boilers were later found to be unsafe by Gas Safe Engineers who had to carry out repairs.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found Mr Jordan had carried out dangerous gas work previously without being Gas Safe registered. He had been served with an HSE Prohibition Notice in July 2016 requiring him not to carry out any further gas work until he had been appropriately trained and was Gas Safe registered.
Sam Jordan of Siddal Close, Sholing, Southampton, Hampshire pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 3(1) and 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and Section 33(1) of the Health and Safety At Work Act 1974. He was sentenced to 21 months in prison.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Andrew Moore said: “Sam Jordan undertook gas work, which he knew he was not registered to do and for which he had been prohibited from carrying out by the HSE in 2016. His work was dangerous and put people at the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. It was very fortunate that no one was harmed.
“HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate action against rogue gas fitters who disregard the law and place lives at risk.”
Chief executive of Gas Safe Register Jonathan Samuel added: “Illegal gas work can be extremely unsafe and put people at risk. Gas work should only be undertaken by someone who is competent and qualified to do so, and that means they have to be on the Gas Safe Register. Every engineer has a unique ID card showing the work they are qualified to undertake, and the public are encouraged to contact us to check if they have any concerns.”
Source HSE Website 15/10/2021
For more HSE news including prosecutions visit the HSE website